photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg

Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Boom Boom, I wanna go ADPi!!

First off, it's Wednesday!! Here's your weekly reminder to get those posts ready for Thirsty Thursday!! All you have to do is write a quick post about a beet, wine, or cocktail that you like!!

OK so a few weeks back I posted on Twitter wondering if any of my followers were Alpha Delta Pi's. I got nothing...so hopefully there's some of you out there!!


Alpha Delta Pi was founded in 1851 at Wesleyan College in Macon, GA. It was the first sorority. BOOM!

I was a late joiner. When I was 19 my father passed away. Despite me trying to stay, my mom forced me to head back to college for my junior year just three weeks later. I lived with one of my best friends at college and we had our own apartment that year. As soon as I got there I knew it was going to be a hard year without my family. Friends can do a lot but sometimes you just need the support of someone you can hug and cry on. 



A few weeks into that semester my friend started encouraging me to join her sorority. I had attended a party with them the year before but was never really interested in being in a sorority. One night I finally gave in to her because I knew I needed more people in my life to help support me. I went to another party to meet some more of the girls. Although they were lots of fun I just wasn't up for the process of recruitment week. 



My friend was quite disappointed but respected my decision. After all I had just lost my dad. 

Little did I know magic was working it's way into my life. It must have been written into my future because someone knew I needed more people in my life. On Bid Day, I was offered an open bid to be an Alpha Delta Pi.


Sorority life was completely different than what I expected. I had a blast!! I loved getting to know my sisters and meeting new people. It was exactly what I needed in order to get myself back on track. 

Although I have to admit I'm not that close with a lot of my sisters, it's mostly my fault. I feel if I had joined earlier and had more time with them things would be a lot different. I still keep in touch with many of them and we are all comment and like each other's images on Facebook and what not. 


I would love to hear from you if you are ADPi. I get excited to find out people I know have something else in common with me. At my graduation, when I wore the ADPi cords, my aunt heard for the first time that I had joined a sorority. Little did I know, that she was an ADPi, too. 

"Boom Boom, I wanna go ADPi. Boom Boom, and baby that ain't no lie. Boom Boom, I wanna go ADPi don't you?!?!"


P.S. Sorry for the horrible pics. I graduated college like 8 years ago. So....that was back when I didn't have any sense of fashion. Oh wait...I still don't. haha.

Carolina Fireflies

7 comments :

  1. I always thought about if I would join a sorority ... If given the chance.
    I would probably be too scared unless I had a real friend to support/help me. Lol I'm such a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never went the sorority route but I lived in a house with seven other girls and spent a whole lot of time in frat houses so I sort of feel like i was ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sister!! Tennessee Tech 2008! (We were also the first sorority at Tech!) **secret handshake** Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up! Gosh I will admit that sorority life helped me through some tough times too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that you were able to get an open bid! A sorority is the best support system, outside of family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to a university not far from Wesleyan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey hey I'm an ADPi! :) What school did you go to? So glad you were able to find friends (and sisters!) to help you through your tough time.

    ReplyDelete