photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Recipe: Copycat Chipotle Burrito Bowl

Last week while Mike was away at a conference I started getting really jealous about him eating out all the time. If I had enough money and I thought I could restrain from always getting the most unhealthy thing on the menu, I would eat out for every meal. So...when Mike eats out and I don't I hate it!!

I sat around for a while debating making the 20 minutes into town just to pick up some sushi. Then debated heading the 25 minutes in the other direction to get Chipotle. But truthfully, I really didn't feel like making either drive. So I sat and wallowed in my despair until I had an idea! I'll make my own Chipotle bowl!! So I searched through Pinterest and within minutes I was ready. I had planned on making a taco salad for dinner so I had most of the ingredients anyway, but I did have to head 3 minutes to our local grocery store for the second time that day in order to get the rest.

And, I'm not joking when I say...it tasted sooo much like a Chipotle bowl. Needless to say, it fulfilled my craving. The recipe is actually a bunch of different recipes put together based on what you like from the Chipotle menu, but this is how I make mine.

Copycat Chipotle Bowl

Cilantro Lime Rice
• 1 package white or brown boil in a bag rice
• 1 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
•1 tbsp. lime juice
• salt and pepper

Cook rice according to package. Add cilantro, lime, salt and pepper. Mix well.


Pico de gallo
• 6 vine ripe tomatoes
•1/2 red onion, chopped
• 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
• 2 jalapeƱos, chopped
• 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
• salt and pepper to taste

Add all ingredients into a large bowl. Mix well. Season to taste.

the rest
• 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, diced
• 1 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1/2 green pepper, sliced
1/4 red onion, sliced
• 1 can black beans, drained
• 1 can corn, drained
shredded cheese
sour cream

In small saute pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil and peppers and onions. Saute until translucent. (like Chipotle's fajita) In large saute pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil and chicken. Cook over medium high heat until cooked through. prepare with taco seasoning according to taco packet directions. If the chicken creates a lot of liquid, you might want to drain it before adding taco seasoning. 

To make the bowl: Layer rice, fajita, chicken, corn, black beans, pico de gallo, cheese, sour cream. Enjoy!

11 comments :

  1. I am all about the burrito bowl...thanks for the at-home option!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delish! I looove Mexican but have a tough time getting it out bc I hate cilantro so I think I need to start making it myself and just leaving it out. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call on making your own. We don't have a chipotle down here and I crave it all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try this one out!! So good and tasted so much like the real thing.

      Delete
  4. Pico is my FAVORITE mexican food topping. It goes with so many things. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pico is my FAVORITE mexican food topping. It goes with so many things. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chipotle burrito bowls and burrito salads are my fave! I make something similar at home as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Such a good idea instead of making the drive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhhh YUM! I don't have a Chipotle nearby but I hear a lot about it in vegan groups on Facebook. The rice and salsa sound amazing and I would just sub some seasoned tofu for the chicken in mine to make it vegetarian. Thanks for sharing! Pinning for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We do copycat Chipotle bowls at least once a month with homemade barbacoa. BEST EVER, and so much cheaper than going out. I love finding great copycat recipes!! I'll have to use this pico de gallo recipe next time. YUM! Thanks for sharing with us at Delicious Dish Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We would love your Burrito Bowl! Happy St. Patrick’s Day and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete