photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg

Wednesday, April 08, 2015

DIY: IKAT wall decor

I did it!! Another successful DIY project!! I loved this one. It took a little more time because you have to let the paint dry in between layers, but it worked out fabulously and I can't wait to make another one!! I'm thinking these could go randomly throughout the house and no one would notice that I have the same thing all over the place. Or maybe they will but who cares. If they chose to say something I'll just to have to punch them in the throat.


This project was not difficult, but my little OCD and perfectionism came into play a lot. You will see I added to the picture at the end because I was not pleased with the size of the "diamonds". Usually what happens is I continue to "fix" things, and then I ruin them. I've been trying to hold back on doing that lately. haha. 

The original tutorial called for starting out by drawing a few diamonds onto your canvas. Ain't nobody got time fo' that, so...I just went for it. I definitely copied off of the color scheme of the original post but it matched the room I was going for so I figured why reinvent the wheel?? 

All I did here was make a diamond in the middle of the canvas and use short light strokes to drag out the brush strokes. Let that dry, and then do the same with the next color only a little smaller. Let paint dry after every coat.


When I got done 3 of my four colors I really wasn't happy with the size of the "diamonds" for the picture, so I just used the same colors to bring the outside strokes out a little longer. I was super nervous I would mess something up, but it actually worked out and looked a lot better.


The last thing I added was the mettalic gold. I really wasn't a fan of this gold when I added it to my canvas, but it's starting to grow on me. I thought it was a little too yellow/greenish, but even Mike commented on how nice it looked the other day. Truth be told, since I thought I was going to be changing the gold color, I didn't drag out the edges on this yet, but you might not ever know that if I didn't tell you. haha.

And here is the finished product!! I'm super happy with it and can't wait to do some more!
Also linking up for: Little Friday || Treat Yo' Self Thursday || Thoughts for Thursday  || Thursday Favorite Things ||  Turn it up Tuesday || Tutorial Tuesday || Let's Be Friends Blog Hop || Handmade Tuesday's || That DIY Party || The Creative Collection || Creative Inspirations || Create It Thursday || Creative Ways Link Party || Artsy Fartsy Link Party || Friday's Unfolded 

12 comments :

  1. I've been excited to see this tutorial ever since you posted about wanting to try it! This turned out so amazing - it definitely looks professional and that you bought it, I'm super impressed! I may need to "borrow" this idea and try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, great job! I want to try something like this :)

    Sarah
    Midwest Darling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It really wasn't that hard and I really like how it turned out!!

      Delete
  3. You did such a great job! I need to man up and try this too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh so cute! it looks perfect in your bathroom! I just bought coral towels like that - I probably need this exact artwork for my bathroom too. Good work girl. Oh and I just scored like 10 free canvases so I'm doing all your tutorials ASAP (as in sometime in November haha).

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH OH MY GOD I CANT HANDLE THE CUTENESS!! Pinning and putting this on my list of crafts to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! The beauty of ikat is it's imperfection. You did an awesome job. I love hanging my personal art around the house too, it's what makes your home yours!
    www.california-to-carolina.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And it's super cheap to do your own art, so, that's a plus, too!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. That is so pretty!! I just love a good ikat pattern, and painting...so now I'm going to have to try it. Also, you made me laugh out lout...you SHOULD punch them in the throat. Thanks for the great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks!! Yeah it was super easy and you can totally do it. If you make one be sure to send me a picture!! I love to see everyone's artwork!

      Delete
  8. This definitely looks like a fun project! It's been a while since I've painted anything so I might put this on my list of things to DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. okay so I love your DIY's because they all legitimately look like things I could do too + they're ALWAYS adorable!

    ReplyDelete