photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg

Saturday, August 04, 2012

Sweet and Sour Chicken...yummm

Since I have been home all summer I have become a little more adventurous with trying out new recipes. During the school year it seems I always resort to the same things over and over again. After my day with the students and my hour drive home, trying something new, which might not work out, is just not in my agenda. We do change it up based on the season, but it gets very boring. So...I thought if I could try it this summer, maybe it would be something I already have on my mind for the school year.

A few days ago I tried Sweet and Sour Chicken from a website I found on Pinterest. At first glance (which is really all I did before deciding to cook it) it seemed so quick. I had all the ingredients, the process didn't seem bad, etc. But I will tell you that after all the prep, this takes an hour to cook.
 With that being said......so worth it! The process of doing everything really was very easy. And the ingredients are all something you most likely have on hand already. (I have seen so many asian recipes that use spices and things that I would have to buy specifically for one dish and that is something I refuse to do. ) Mike loved it!! I can always tell when Mike loves a meal because he wants to take extra to work. :) Even his work friends asked him if he got dinner at the China House. Go me!!

Here it is!! Enjoy!


Sweet and Sour Chicken

INGREDIENTS:
   For chicken:
     3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used 2 huge ones)
     Salt and pepper
     1 cup cornstarch
     2 large eggs, beaten
     1/4 canola oil (I used vegetable oil)

   Sauce:
     3/4 cup granulated sugar
     4 tablespoons ketchup
     1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
     1 tablespoon soy sauce
     1 teaspoon garlic salt (I actually used garlic powder and added a little salt to the sauce)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. While the oil is heating, cut the chicken breasts into one inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Place the cornstarch in a gallon-sized ziploc bag. Put the chicken into the bag with the cornstarch and seal, tossing to coat the chicken. Wisk the eggs together in a shallow pie plate. Dip the cornstarch-coated chicken pieces in the egg and then place them carefully in a single layer in the hot skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes and then flip each piece over to cook on the other side until nicely golden but not all the way cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces

Mix the sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl and pour over the chicken in the baking dish. Bake for one hour, turning the chicken once or twice while cooking to coat evenly with the sauce. Serve over steamed rice. (I also steamed some broccoli and served that as well.)

Recipe Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

No comments :

Post a Comment