photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Make ahead Frozen Breakfast Burritos

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" Well, I'm definitely guilty of not eating my Wheaties. It's not that I'm not hungry or too late to make breakfast. It's usually that it just takes too much effort at 7am. Yup...I am LAY-ZEE in the mornings! I would say out of 5 work days I eat breakfast maybe 2 of them, and that's if I'm motivated enough to drive through the Dunkin' Donuts drive-thru on the way to work.

I've seen a lot of recipes about frozen breakfast burritos that you can heat up quickly in the morning. Yesterday I was bored at home so I figured I would try this out. I looked at a few different recipes to get some ideas of how much of each thing I needed, but ended up just winging it. 

I have to be honest, I have not yet eaten one of these burritos so I can't make any promises about their taste after being reheated, but I know they would have been good if I ate them right away.


Frozen Breakfast Burritos (makes about 9-10 burritos)

INGREDIENTS:
     9ish eggs
     2-3 cups onion, chopped
     1-2 cups pepper, chopped (I used green but it doesn't matter)
     2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or enough slices of American for each burrito (How come they don't make shredded American cheese??)
     2 cups cooked sausage (I used the pre-cooked stuff you throw in the microwave and just cooked it a little with the peppers and onions)
    splash of milk
     tortillas (Whole wheat for me!!)

DIRECTIONS:
In a saute pan, throw a little slab of butter and the chopped onions, peppers, and sausage. (If you used the pre-cooked sausage you can also throw it in with the eggs.) Let them cook until the onions are transparent or the sausage is browned. When these are done put them in a cereal bowl and stick them to the side.

Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and wisk together with a splash of milk. Pour them into the same pan you used for the onions and scramble. (I like to add the peppers, onions, and sausage here because I like them to be incorporated all together. Up to you.)

Lay out your burrito on a flat surface. If you are using American cheese break it in half and put one half in the middle of the burrito. (If you are using shredded wait until the end.) Then layer your eggs, sausage, peppers, and onions. -If you like a little hot sauce throw that in now, too- Don't layer too high because then you will have trouble folding your burrito. On top throw on the shredded cheese or the other piece of American.


Now comes the complicated part...folding. Here is the easiest way I have found to do it. Rotate your burrito so that the fillings are horizontal. Fold the tortilla in half and then tuck your fingers so that you create a pocket around your filling. (The edges do not need to be "rolled" under the filling. That won't matter.) Then fold in the sides. Nothing fancy, just one fold. Finally, roll the pocket up until the seam is on the bottom. I wish I had pictures because its really hard to explain, but I'm sure if you YouTube folding burritos you can find a good explanation.


Roll your burritos up in aluminum foil and throw them in the freezer. It seems between the many recipes I've read, you can microwave them on high for about 2-3 minutes and they will be good to go.



No comments :

Post a Comment