photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg

Thursday, March 07, 2013

Cajun Chicken Pasta

     Mike and I have been struggling with trying to find more ideas for healthy meals that aren't so boring. We have had the quiche a few different ways lately and we have also made the pot pies a few times as well. It also seems like most of the ideas that I find from Pinterest don't always seem all that "healthy". So I went on a search...

     I came across a website that I have now fallen in love with. Skinnytaste.com is AMAZING!! They have so many wonderful ideas that are definitely family-friendly and easy to make. On each recipe it provides you with nutritional facts. It also gives Weight Watchers point information in case you are keeping track of that. Now, I don't have to worry so much about trying to figure out all that information myself. It's right there for me.

     Tonight I decided I was going to try one of the dishes that has been catching my eye. It's called Cajun Chicken Pasta on the Lighter Side. Now, normally I'm very cautious of pasta recipes, however, this one really did seem like it would be healthy. I was able to find some whole wheat linguini noodles so it might even be a little healthier than what they say. It also looked quite easy, and with the week this has been that was exactly what I was looking for. (Too bad I have to hit the gym tonight because a bottle of wine would be AMAZING with this dish....and this day.)


Cajun Chicken Pasta
INGREDIENTS:
     8 ounces whole wheat uncooked linguini
     1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
     1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning. (I just used a little bit of homemade stuff I had)
     garlic powder to taste
     1 tbsp. olive oil
     2 medium bell peppers, your choice in colors, sliced thin
     1/2 red onion
     1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
     1 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth
     1/3 cup skim milk
     1 tbsp flour
     3 tbsp light cream cheese
     fresh cracked pepper
     salt to taste
     2 scallions, chopped

DIRECTIONS:
     In a small blender, make a mixture of the cream cheese, milk and flour. Blend until smooth. Set aside.

     Season chicken generously with cajun seasoning, garlic powder, and salt. Cook pasta in salted water according to directions on the package.

     Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, spray with cooking spray. Sauté chicken until done and set aside. Add olive oil to the skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add in bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Season with salt, garlic powder, and fresh cracked pepper to taste.

     Reduce heat to low-medium and add chicken broth. Pour in the cream cheese mixture and stir for about 2 minutes. Return chicken to skillet and season accordingly. Cook until hot, then add linguini and toss well to coat. Top with chopped scallions.

     Enjoy!!


No comments :

Post a Comment