photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Spinach and Sausage Quiche


     As I mentioned before, Mike and I are really trying to eat a lot healthier. It seems like we had gotten into a rut with our food and it was mostly whatever we had around the house. Unfortunately, what we had around the house wasn't all that great for you. 

     Mike is very body-conscious and works out all the time. Working out doesn't easily fit into my schedule but I've been back at it for about a month now. I'm starting to feel really great about myself, especially because this is the first time we have worked out AND eaten right while doing it. We always seem to kind of mix up the two. Either we eat right, or work out. As hard as it is to say, I have gained about 20 pounds since we got married. No it's not the typical marriage weight, it's being lazy (mixed A LOT with a new medication to prevent another O'Neil from coming into the world too soon. lol.) so I'm determined this time to get myself right once and for all.

     I have been mentioning making quiche forever, but for some reason Mike always kind of blows it off. I guess I made a good argument last night when I started talking about how it would be a nice change for our healthy meals. Such a good argument Mike suggested we make it tonight!! :)

     I can't take the credit fort his meal, however. I came up with what we would put into the quiche, but Mike actually made it. It's hard work driving an hour to and from work, working all day, then hitting up the gym after school for about 90 minutes. Our dishes have been put off for about 4 days now, so that was my job. I didn't hear too much complaining out of Mike. 

     Anyway, this was AMAZING!!!! Mike and I both admitted being a little skeptical seeing as how we have never made quiche before, but Oh My Goodness!!! I've already started thinking about what can go into our next one!!

Spinach and Sausage Quiche
INGREDIENTS:
     3 links of Sweet Italian turkey sausage, removed from casing and cooked (use whatever kind of sausage you want but the turkey sausage is healthier!!!)
     1 premade pie crust, the roll out kind
     5 eggs
     1 1/4 cups milk
     1/4 cup red pepper, diced
     1/4 cup onion, diced
     1/3 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
     small handful of spinach leaves
     few dashes of garlic powder, salt, pepper

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray your pie pan with non-stick spray. Prepare your crust in your pan.

2. In a small mixing bowl, blend the eggs and milk. Then stir in onions, peppers, sausage, half the cheese, spinach, and seasonings. (You can also wait and sprinkle these in after adding about half of the egg mixture to your pie, then cover them up with the rest of your egg. Your choice.)

3. Pour egg mixture into pie. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.

4. Bake for about an hour or until pie browns on top. When you take it out give it a little jiggle and make sure nothing is moving. You want to be sure the egg is cooked all the way through.

Then, enjoy!!

*A suggestion...The pie crust was still a little underdone on the bottom. Mike and I thought it might work better if you bake the pie crust for a few minutes before adding the ingredients. Quiche is typically softer on the bottom, but if you like yours a little crispier, this might be a good idea. *

...I also read where you can partially bake these and then freeze them!!
     

No comments :

Post a Comment