photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg  photo SEPARATOR_zps16bb71c8.jpg

Monday, January 07, 2013

Slow Cooker Cheesy Rice and BBQ Chicken Burritos



     I know what you're thinking....what a stretch!! Well, it's that kind of night here in the O'Neil household. We really didn't know what we were going to do until my ride home from school. When Mike got off work this morning (that's right, he works night shift I work day shift. What a marriage!!) he said he was going to put some chicken in the crock pot with BBQ sauce. Truthfully, I was exhausted and on my hour long drive to work so I could care less what we were having for dinner.

     On the way home I started thinking about what Mike thought we were going to do with the BBQ chicken. We usually do BBQ Chicken sandwiches but we have been trying to eat a little healthier. (Don't mind the peanut butter cookies in the last post. Those were from Christmas.) Plus, we don't have any rolls and I hate stopping on the way home. Something popped in my head about wraps, but I had one for lunch. Then...ding, ding, ding!!! I called Mike to make sure we had everything I needed, which is only 2 additional ingredients, and then planned my attack!

     This was so easy, especially because when you get home the chicken is already done. All you have to do is shred it!! And you can really use whatever rice you want, but all we had was Rice-A-Roni. Yes, we're aware that isn't really the healthiest choice but...that's what happens when it's what you have in your pantry and you're broke because they have now decided to take even more taxes out of our paychecks. :)

Ok, so here it is. Sooo easy!!

Slow Cooker Cheesy Rice and BBQ Chicken Burritos (whew that was a long title)
INGREDIENTS:
     1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
     1 thing (brainfart) of your favorite BBQ sauce (We used some kind of Heinz something? Sale!!)
     1 pkg Four Cheese Rice-A-Roni
     flour tortillas (use whole wheat and make it even healthier)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Put chicken and BBQ sauce in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours. Shred in slow cooker and leave cooking until rice is done.
2. Prepare Rice-A-Roni as directed on the package.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Put a healthy spoonful of rice onto tortilla. Then, put an even healthier few spoonfuls of BBQ chicken on top of the rice. Fold/roll the tortilla into a burrito.
5. Place in a baking dish and bake for 15ish minutes until burrito is a little crispy. (Can you tell when I make up my own recipes??)
6. Enjoy!!

So many things you could do to this, too. Add cheese. Do some kind of white beans instead of rice. Add french fries. Don't judge me. Whatever you usually do with BBQ chicken, put it in the wrap!

No comments :

Post a Comment