If you haven't heard me talk about cruises before, I am in love. They are, by far, the best vacation my husband and I could ever afford. The cruise we're going on next week is a 6 day cruise and between the 2 of us we paid $1100 total. That includes our room, entertainment, meals (and as many as we want a day), and the trip to Key West, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. We have to pay for the excursions and alcohol, but it's still so affordable. What else can you do for that price including 4 course meals and outstanding chefs for a week? And actually, our cruise just dropped down to $200 per person the other day. WITAF?
Hopefully, I have convinced you all to take a cruise now, but before you go check out this list of must haves so you can live it up the right way!
1. Bring your Tumbler!!! - Mike and I always bring a huge "drankin cup" with us. I found this one on Etsy. The only thing they have available are the little hotel glasses that you use to rinse your toothpaste out. They also have small plastic cups but you have to fill up two at a time to be able to actually quench your thirst. But, if you bring a large tumbler, you can fill it up and be good to go. Which brings me to...
2. Rum Runners!! - Rum Runners are the best way to smuggle alcohol on the cruise. They remind me of the bag that wine in a box comes in. You fill them up with your favorite alcohols and they are undetectable to X-ray machines. I put mine inside a shoe box with my shoes and we stick a few under some clothes or mixed inside my makeup bag or toiletries bag. Just don't put them on your carry on because they get searched. You can order them here...
3. UNO - Bring some playing cards. Mike and I always try to get to the entertainment early so we get good seats. They are usually playing BINGO but you have to pay to play and we never win. There are some good prizes though so you might want to try. UNO usually helps us pass the time while we wait. We also love to go sit in the atrium and listen to the musicians while we get our drank on and play some cards.
4. Extra sunglasses - It's so easy to scratch or lose your sunglasses on a cruise. Mike and I always bring an extra, cheap pair just in case. That way when you're drunk laying out on the deck and forget to grab your sunglasses when you head back inside, you have an extra pair to take with you.
5. eReader - Bring it! You might not think you will have time to read but it's always better safe then sorry. Mike and I always have our Kindles with us. We take them up to the pool deck when we lay out and I can usually get a fews books in during the cruise. Mike also always reads while I'm getting ready. Especially if you have a balcony room, sitting out there watching the waves and reading is so peaceful.
6. Waterproof watch - You miss the ship, it's on you to make it home. Get a cheap waterproof watch to take with you so you always know what ship time is. That way you don't have to worry about figuring out the ship time when you're in a different time zone. And, since it's waterproof, you don't have to worry about leaving it behind or having it slow down.
7. Sunscreen and After Sun Lotion - This might seem like an obvious one, but I can't tell you how many times Mike and I forget to buy it. And, of course they have it available on the ship, but it's expensive as hell. It never fails I get burnt the very first sea day and we always forget the after sun lotion. Then I'm in pain the entire night and can barely move. I got the Hawaiian Tropic stuff in a Influenster VoxBox and have fallen in love with it.
Got any cruise must haves of your own??